Saturday, March 21, 2009

St. Patty's Day and Other Things

This week has been pretty uneventful for us. We celebrated St. Patty's Day by having a green dinner. Green eggs, green milk, etc. The girls loved it! Luckily, I didn't have to eat that dinner because I went to a Relief Society activity that night! I'm not a huge fan of plain scrambled eggs, especially green ones. Anyway, the girls got some pretty green bows from Grandma Mel so I took some pictures of them for you, Mom! Niah loves that you are Irish and she gave Bryan a hard time all day for not being Irish. My girls are pretty good models. Chloe is starting to pose like Niah now. It's pretty hilarious!
This one's for you Mom! Thanks for sending the girls an Irish package. They loved growing their clovers and they loved that they got to wear green bows. Niah pinched Bryan when he got home because he was not wearing green.

Since not much has been happening around here I thought that since I'm posting I will write about some other things...
Quilt update: I was so excited to get started on my quilt. I have done the same pattern three other times so I think I was over confident and on my first step I cut the fabric wrong. Grrrrr. This ended up making everything else short for the entire quilt. After much frustration and lots of help from my genius husband- yes, he was quilting with me!- I got the top finished. I'm glad I have Bryan here to do all the math and measuring. My brain really does not function in that area! Even though I had to piece some of it and it's not quite like the pattern, I think it turned out really cute. I decided to not even try machine quilting it myself after I messed the first part up, so I posted an ad on Craigslist to see if anyone out there would machine quilt it for me at a reasonable price. Low and behold, someone responded! I took the quilt to her house on Thursday and had it binded together. I am soooo pleased with how it turned out. The lady that did it was so nice and I am so glad I found her. She only charged me $27- for quilting it and for batting . If anyone here in Vermont ever wants her name and number I'll give it to you! So, then last night I start sewing my binding on. Everything was going well, I had two sides sewn on. Than all of a sudden I realize that I sewed it on the wrong side of the quilt. I'm such an idiot! Now I have lots of unpicking to do. Grrrr. I'll post a picture when it's finally done.

Funny Conversation with Niah: The past week and half or so I have been holding out on going to the grocery store so that I can stay within our grocery budget and still make it through the month with a decent meal plan. Niah must have noticed that all she's been eating is eggs, Ritz crackers, and mac n' cheese for the past few days. The other afternoon she randomly said to me,
"Mom, we're poor huh."
Me: "Ya, pretty poor. Why do you think that?"
Niah: "Because we can't even buy food!!"
I couldn't do anything but laugh. Who thought that she was so observant!? We really aren't starving, just trying to live on a budget. She is so funny. She always tells me we need a bigger house too. Little does she know that our tiny 568 square foot apartment is only going to get smaller in about four and a half months!

9 comments:

Tamara Jacobs said...

cute pictures! the girls look sooo cute! Can't wait to see you so soon! You got an awesome deal on the quilt! I can't wait to see how it turned out. Niah is so funny! She is too smart for her own good:) love ya!

Sara said...

The girl's look adorable! And Niah is too funny - gotta love kids, right? They say the funniest things!

Erica said...

You are quite the photographer! Your pictures are so pretty and you have got quite the models! I love that Niah pointed out that you are poor... There is nothing better than the bluntness of kids! They are so great to point out the obvious!

Jen said...

Hey Nat,
Your girls are beautiful. Every time I see Chloe I see Grandma Saundra in her. Niah needs to be on commercials - cute little thing.

I am so impressed with how you handle things and your kids in such a small space. I will admit that I am spoiled and am so glad that I have space for the boys right now. Even though our floors are concrete and plywood - our house is a work in progress, I love it. I would honestly be in a loony bin if I couldn't get them in another room now and then. Love those boys - loud, loud, loud.
Love
Jen

Kaitlan said...

Those pictures are soo cute! They are both like little professional models!!! Thats so funny what Niah said. She is a smarty! I miss you nat! i cant wait for spring break!!! LOVE YOU

Deanna said...

Smart and beautiful girls! PS it is COLD where you are (I just saw the weather thing on your page) - man, Houston has ruined me..

AnnDeO said...

I love Niah's comments. When we first moved to the little white house in Wellsville Chase thought we were rich because we had a "golden light" (that bronze chandelier in the living room). He said we were now wealthy like Aunt Mel and Grandma Saundra because they had magical garbage cans (the trash compacters).
Little did he know... but I loved those tiny houses and apartments when the kids were little. We were always together and now even today the boys choose to sleep in the same room, because that is how they grew up.
Oh, and the girl's look gorgeous and your photography skills are awesome.

Heather and Ben said...

That story about Niah asking if you guys were poor was seriously hilarious! It is so funny how perceptive they are without us ever really realizing. She is too funny! And beautiful pictures. Watch out when they're teenagers...that's for sure!

The Brady Bunch said...

Those two girls are cuties!!


Here we are at the top of Niah's castle!


Here's Niah and her best friend Addi playing in the dirt!

Bryan's favorite things:

  • BYU Football
  • Pandora.com
  • Surfing the Internet
  • Mountain Biking
  • Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
  • Kayaking

Natalie's Favorite Things

  • Naps
  • Blogging
  • Cooking
  • Going on dates with Bryan
  • Reading good books
  • Being a mom

Niah's Favorite Things

  • Hannah Montana
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • High School Musical
  • Reading books with her dad
  • Singing
  • Disney Princesses
  • Playing outside with her friends

Chloe's Favorite Things

  • Being outside
  • Her binki
  • Bananas
  • Macaroni and Cheese
  • Playing with Niah
  • Taking a bath