Friday, July 24, 2009

Delivery Story

I said I would post about the delivery of Bennett. Really, I couldn't have asked for things to go any smoother. Once he decided to come, he came pretty fast.
11:30 pm Sunday night- I started having contractions that lasted all night. They were about 8-9 minutes apart and they hurt.
8:00 am Monday morning- For some reason my contractions stopped. I would have one every once in a while but nothing regular.
1:00 pm- The contractions come back and are very strong. They were coming about every 12-13 minutes.
5:00 pm- The contractions suddenly start coming every 5 minutes and they are REALLY painful. I'm thinking it's time to go to the hospital, but Bryan doesn't think it's time yet. He made me lay down on the couch to see if the contractions keep coming. We were sent home with both girls so Bryan doesn't want that to happen again!
6:00 pm- I can't take it anymore and I call the Dr. while Bryan is in the shower. I tell her my contractions are coming every 3-5 minutes. She asked me if I had been dilated at my last appointment and I tell her I was 3 cm at my appointment a week ago. She said, "Yes, come in now."
6:20 pm- We load the girls in the car and take them to my friend Bethany's house.
7:00 pm- We arrive at the hospital. By now I am in a lot of pain and I know it's time to have a baby.
7:30 pm- They check me after getting settled in and I am dilated 7 cm. Not wanting to miss the window, I request my epidural. The nurses and doctors were trying to talk me out of it because I was so close to a 10. I am not afraid to admit that I didn't want to feel anything, I like to enjoy my deliveries and not feel much pain. Someone invented the epidural so that I could use it!!!
8:00ish pm- The epidural is in on the first try! That has never happened to me before, it usually takes them a few tries. I was a happy woman.
8:20 pm or so- I feel my water break- very weird feeling and I tell the Dr., "Uh, I think my water just broke!" She checked me and I was 9 cm dilated.
8:55 pm- I felt pressure. It was time to push!!
9:02 pm- After pushing through three contractions, Bennett Charles was born. It was such a great moment. This is my favorite part, of course. There is nothing better than looking down and seeing that new baby you have been waiting for all those months.
It's so great to have him here. It feels like he has been in our family forever. He is so good. He slept four straight hours last night and he only cries when he is hungry, he's a little oinker. He had his two day check-up today and he weighs the same as he did at birth. His little features are starting to show now that the swelling and bruising in his face is going down. I think he looks like Niah did when she was a newborn and he is definitely Bryan's son. They look a lot alike in baby pictures. Here are some pictures from our day today.









We love our little boy. He really is so sweet and we love him to death!




12 comments:

Melanie Falater said...

I LOVE that last picture with Chloe, so precious! I can't believe he is already back to his birth weight...it takes my babies a month!

mason said...

OH So Sweet!! He is so dang cute. Aren't little boys the best ever!?

Annette said...

I'm glad you stood up for yourself and got your epidural!!

He is such a sweetheart baby!

Goolds said...

What a beautiful boy.

AnnDeO said...

You have Chloe in a picture! I guess all it took is a baby brother. He does look like Niah. Happy baby days to you.

TLJ said...

he is soooo cute! i loved hearing the delivery story. i'm so glad it went so well. that is awesome that he slept four hours straight too! what a good little boy. i love the pictures. hope you are having fun with mom. i love you! he is beautiful.

Deanna said...

Wow what a smooth delivery! Congrats on a sweetie!

The Brady Bunch said...

Your pictures are adorable! I love the ones with his big sisters. And HAZA to you on the epidural!!! I completely agree, no reason not to have it. He's such a cutie!

Mel said...

Love the pictures Nat. You have beautiful babies and you are a beautiful mama. It's been so fun hanging out together...it will be painful to leave.

Kell said...

Love the pictures and story. He is such a cute little boy. We are so proud of you and your family. Well done. :) We can't wait to see all of you and the baby!
Love, Kell and Dad

Megan Rogers said...

Way to go, Natalie! He is beautiful! And, I have to say that the epidural is a must! I agree that it is there for a reason!! Congrats, again! Enjoy the little guy!

miquelle and cody said...

what a cute new family picture! I am so glad everything went so well!


Here we are at the top of Niah's castle!


Here's Niah and her best friend Addi playing in the dirt!

Bryan's favorite things:

  • BYU Football
  • Pandora.com
  • Surfing the Internet
  • Mountain Biking
  • Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
  • Kayaking

Natalie's Favorite Things

  • Naps
  • Blogging
  • Cooking
  • Going on dates with Bryan
  • Reading good books
  • Being a mom

Niah's Favorite Things

  • Hannah Montana
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • High School Musical
  • Reading books with her dad
  • Singing
  • Disney Princesses
  • Playing outside with her friends

Chloe's Favorite Things

  • Being outside
  • Her binki
  • Bananas
  • Macaroni and Cheese
  • Playing with Niah
  • Taking a bath